Old New Castle
Photo taken from dcet.us
Old New Castle is located in New Castle County, Delaware and was founded in the 1600s by the Dutch who called it New Amstel. It was then taken over by the British in 1682 who renamed it New Castle. The entire area surrounding the castle still seems like an old colonial town. Homes still standing date back 200 years, as well as cobblestone streets and old churches and cemeteries.
Naturally, such an historic place such as the castle has its share of paranormal activity. Some people who visit the houses hear footsteps going up and down the steps with no one there. Also, some of the taverns in the town report the smelling of tobacco from a pipe. This is unusual since no one can legally smoke in a restaurant in the state of Delaware. People walking past the cemetery at night have reported seeing shadowy figures walking amidst the gravestones. The most notable of ghost sightings in the area are the Dutch soldiers.
These Dutch soldiers are seen walking up and down the Battery Park section of the Delaware River. These figures are usually seen as partial human bodies. These sightings are reported throughout the year, but usually in the autumn. One solider stands out because he walks down the shore holding his decapitated head in his hands.
(Source: Belanger, Jeff. Encyclopedia of Haunted Places. 2005.)