Myth of Haunted Houses

November 25th, 2008

All of us have heard of haunted houses and may have even experienced something with these places during our life. There is not a doubt in my mind that these places have something extremely troubling about them. Some skeptics have an entire other theory to explain the way the reported ghost sightings, voices, and coldness of the buildings. Their explanation is that each of these houses contains lethal amounts of carbon dioxide. When a person comes in contact with large amounts of this gas, they see hallucinations, and the mind begins to act strangely.

Now while this may be the case for certain places, I highly doubt this is true for every single one. There may be certain houses that have not had any people living in them for years have become ridden with carbon monoxide gas causing any visitor to believe they are seeing ghosts. But for the rest of them, I believe there is something supernatural about the places people have called haunted. Something terrible happened in the houses, and the ghosts of the deceased people have not crossed over to the other side.

Related Posts

Angels/Demons, Debate Topics, Ghost Encounters, Ghost Stories, Haunted Places, Urban Legends



Our Sponsors





  1. sara
    January 11th, 2009 at 19:28 | #1

    Do you know of a website where people have put real stuff on hauntings with houses and things that have happened all over the world?

  2. Jason
    January 12th, 2009 at 09:23 | #2

    This is the best site right here Sara. We update every day with haunted places all across the world. Check out our Haunted Houses category. We have many other categories also relating to the paranormal.

  3. David
    January 26th, 2009 at 06:03 | #3

    Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is still one of the first things that should be checked for in a house believed to be haunted. Not only old houses, but ones where perhaps, a new furnace has been put in, or a water boiler, or the previous occupants have also reported strange things happening, headaches, or all mysteriously died. Carbon Monoxide is the most common type of fatal poisoning in the United States. It is far more likely that it is Carbon Monoxide than a haunting; it won’t hurt to be the first thing to check.

    “In one famous case, carbon monoxide poisoning was clearly identified as the cause of an alleged haunting. Dr. William Wilmer, an ophthalmologist, described the experiences of one of his patients in a 1921 article published in the American Journal of Ophthalmology. “Mr. and Mrs. H.” moved into a new home, but soon began to complain of headaches and fatigue. They began to hear bells and footsteps during the night, accompanied by strange physical sensations and sightings of mysterious figures. When they began to investigate the symptoms, they discovered the previous residents of the house had similar experiences. An examination of their furnace found it to be severely damaged, resulting in incomplete combustion and forcing most of the fumes, including carbon monoxide, into the house rather than up the chimney.”
    http://www.ghostvillage.com/resources/2004/resources_10312004.shtml

  1. No trackbacks yet.