Mankind’s Worst Wars and Armed Conflicts
Throughout the history of man, there have been many battles and armed conflicts. Unfortunately, it seems as though world peace is way out of our reach. Below I have listed the worst armed conflicts in history so far with the estimated death toll, years of duration, and location. (The death toll estimates include death of civilians, soldiers in battle, and those who have died from diseases, famine, etc.)
1. World War II - World War II occurred between 1939-1945. Battlefields took place worldwide and it is estimated that 40,000,000-72,000,000 people were killed as a result of this war.
2. Ari Shi Rebellion - This rebellion took place from 756-763. It was located in China and it is said that 33,000,000-36,000,000 people have lost their lives as a result of this rebellion.
3. Mongol Conquests - These events took place from 1207-1472. It took place in Asia, the Middle East, and Europe. It is estimated that 30,000,000-60,000,000 people were killed during these conquests.
4. Manchu Conquest of the Ming Dynasty - This conquest took place from 1616-1662. It took place in China and it is estimated that 25,000,000 were killed as a result.
5. Taiping Rebellion - This rebellion took place in China from 1851-1864. It was located in China and it is estimated that 20,000,000-30,000,000+ people were killed due to this rebellion.
6. World War I - This world war lasted four years, 1914-1918. This world war took place in the Middle East, Pacific, Atlantic, Europe, and Africa. 19,000,000-59,000,000 people were said to be killed as a result. The 59,000,000 includes Spanish flu deaths.
7. Conquests of Timur - These conquests took place from 1369 to 1405. They took place in the Middle East, Asia, India, and Russia. It is estimated that 7,000,000-20,000,000 lives were lost as a result of these conquests.
8. Russian Civil War - This war took place in Russia from 1917 to 1921. 5,000,000-9,000,000 people are said to of been killed as a result.
9. Second Congo War - 3,800,000-5,400,000 people were killed as a result of this war that took place in the Democratic Republic of the Congo from 1998 to 2003.
10. Napoleonic Wars - From 1804-1815 in Europe, the Atlantic, and the Indian Ocean, an estimated 3,500,000-16,000,000 were killed as a result of these wars.
11. Thirty Years’ War - 3,000,000-11,500,000 lives were lost during this war that took place in the Holy Roman Empire from 1618-1648.
12. Yellow Turban Rebellion - From 184 to 205 in China, this rebellion took the lives of 3,000,000-7,000,000 people.
13. Korean War - This war that lasted three years (1950-1953) located in the Korean Peninsula is said to of taken the lives of 2,500,000-3,500,000 people.
14. Vietnam War - From 1959 to 1975 in South East Asia, 2,495,000-5,020,000 people were killed as a result of this war.
15. French Wars of Religion - In France from 1562 to 1598, 2,000,000-4,000,000 lives were taken away as a result of these wars.
16. Shaka’s Conquests - 1816-1828 in Africa caused the deaths of 2,000,000 people as a result of these conquests
17. Afghan Civil War - This is war that has been ongoing ever since 1979 in Afghanistan. So far, it is estimated that 1,500,000-2,000,000 people lost theirs.
18. Iraq War - Ever since 2003 in Iraq, it is said that 90,805-1,200,000 people have lost their lives so far in this war.
“War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other’s children.” – Jimmy Carter