Glamis Castle is located in Scotland, and is home to several ghosts, including that of a White Lady, a Gray Lady, a monster, a vampire, and a woman that was burned at the stake after being accused of witchcraft. The Lyons family has owned the castle since 1372, when they received it from Robert of Bruce. The original construction for Glamis Castle began around 1400, and renovations and additions have been going on over the centuries by the changing occupants. In 1537, Janet Douglas and Lady Glamis were accused of using sorcery to kill King James V.
Lady Glamis was burned at the stake in Edinburgh, and her spirit is believed to be the White Lady who haunts the castle and its grounds, especially in the clock tower. Another legend of the castle deals with the Earl of Crawford and the devil. The earl loved to gamble and play cards, and one Sunday he could find no one to play with him because they were all afraid of gambling on the Lord’s day. The earl began quite frustrated, and he said out loud that he would even play cards with the devil at this point. After this was said, a tall man dressed in black knocked on the door to play cards.
There was much shouting and cursing heard by the servants from the room. One servant looked into the keyhole to get a glimpse of what was going on, and he was blinded by fire. The earl then went out of the room to yell at the servant, and when he turned around to go back in the room the man was gone. Years down the road, the room was sealed off because of a strong aura of evil that eminated from it. The family reported hearing the sounds of footsteps and yelling from the closed room, as if the earl and the devil were still playing their game of cards.
There is a Gray Lady at Glamis that is seen walking around the grounds. Not much is known about who she was in life, but she has been seen walking around for many years now. The vampire in the castle is believed to be that of a servant who was sealed in a secret room after her secret was let out. The legend of the monster of Glamis originated in 1821 with the first son of the Earl of Strathmore. The boy was born in Glamis but was deformed with no neck, small arms and legs, and a body in the shape of an egg. The family hid the child in a secret chamber because they expected him to die.
They told everyone else that the child was stillborn, but he ended up not dying. He was the true heir to the castle, and he grew up in the castle as a secret. As each of the other son’s turned 21, they were introduced to their deformed brother. After seeing their brother, they all lived unhappy lives following this. It is believed that the monster lived until the 1920s. Today, the castle is most famous for being the childhood home of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who later became Queen Elizabeth.
(Source: Belanger, Jeff. Encyclopedia of Haunted Places. 2005.)