photo taken from nextnature.net
Crop Circles are the flattening of crops such as barley, wheat, rapeseed, rye, corn, linseed, and soy. There have been many theories as to why these “circles” have been created, ranging from naturalistic causes to markings from extraterrestrial life. The first crop circle was in the 17th century by an English woodcut known as the Mowing-Devil. There are eight theories that can be interpreted as the cause for these occurrences:
1. Aliens. Some witnesses have seen strange lights, flying saucers, and extraterrestrial indicators to back this theory. This is the most notable explanation and the most understandable out of all the theories.
2. The Earth Energy Theory. This theory states the crop circles are a sign from the Earth to stop polluting.
4. Underground Fields. These fields are said to be either magnetic or electric.
5. Aircrafts. The downdrafts of helicopters. One proposed theory is that helicopter pilots were flying upside down.
6. Strong Winds. Spinning winds, small whirlwinds or tornadoes caused the crop circles by its sudden swirling pressure.
7. Plasma Vortex. Proposed by Dr. Terence Meaden, he defined the vortex as “a spinning mass of air which has accumulated a significan fraction of electrically charged matter”. This theory was backed when witnessed reported humming noises and lights, which would be back this explanation and the Alien one.
8. Hoax. There have been many hoaxes in the past which have been admitted but not all of them can be explained. Could all of them be hoaxes?
(Source: Kelly, Lynne. The Skeptic’s Guide to the Paranormal. 2004)